 Robotics / RCX / 20
Re: RCX Tower Internals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 03:38:08 GMT

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:
My basic issue is that the two emitters and the detector are not lined
up (even close) with the "Clear" lens section on the front of the
tower.

Mine is like this too, I think.  See http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/
and compare to see if they look similarly.  For me at least, the emitters
and detector are slightly above the "clear" section.

Is everyone else's like this. I was thinking that the devices would
be somehow aligned with the window to take advantage of any lens effects.
It looks a bit like a manufacturing goof since the part holes do seem
to line up better, but they didn't leave enough space to monut them between
the PC board and the fron of the case - so they had to go off the board..

For me at least, there is no way the components can line up with the
so-called lens, since the circuit board ends 3/4 the way up the lens, and
the components poke up over the top of the board from the board's back.

I'm also trying to figure out if we can toggle RTS or some other line to
keep the RCX alive.

I tried using a breakout box in response to your last message, and tying
together various wires of an otherwise active connection did not seem to
activate the green LED, which indicates to me that I do not know what I am
doing.  I would at least have expected tying TD to ground might have turned
on the LED.

(sigh)

-Kekoa