 Robotics / RCX / 1961
Re: reading music thru an RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:45:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Pat LaVarre writes:
Anybody already write code to play notes thru the RCX as they are chosen, keep
a history of the notes, replay the assembled tune, etc.?

Something quite like what you describe is the Brick Piano in BricxCC.
Unfortunately, in the current release there is a nasty bug that I just added
which makes the Brick Piano mostly useless at the moment.  It is fixed in
the next release (which will be out this week, with any luck).  The method
of song entry is via a piano keyboard that you click on to enter a note.
You choose the note duration via radio buttons.  It isn't terribly fancy,
but it functions fairly well for the essential aspects of what you
described.  I anticipate that the next release will be able to generate code
in languages other than NQC from the Brick Piano.

BricxCC also now can convert MIDI files into NQC, MindScript, LASM, C, Java,
pbForth, and Pascal source code for the playing on the RCX (and other LEGO
programmable bricks).  So it would be possible to use any MIDI sequencer or
other song writing software that can create a MIDI file and then convert the
MIDI file via BricxCC.  There are a lot of freeware sequencers out there.

Hope this helps,

John Hansen