 Robotics / RCX / 1891
Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dirk Schlei writes:
I have tried to get proximity dectection via RCX emitting IR
(SendMessage/NQC) and Light Sensor (mounted on top of the RCX's IR unit).
But the raw values seemed to be the same with/without emitting IR. Average
value was 725. Went up to 800 (black paper) at the maximum or down to 650,
respectively. Never got a difference bigger than 100. Any idea?

Dirk

Dirk,

I had a similar problem when I first tried, eventually determining that I
wasn't measuring the light sensor value while the message was being sent.
You have to wait a little bit after sending the message before reading the
peak light sensor value.  I monitor the sensor in a little loop right after
sending the IR message.  This ensures that I capture the peak value.

Dean