 Robotics / RCX / 1896
Re: IR Proximity Detection Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:41:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dirk Schlei writes:
I have tried to get proximity dectection via RCX emitting IR
(SendMessage/NQC) and Light Sensor (mounted on top of the RCX's IR unit).
But the raw values seemed to be the same with/without emitting IR. Average
value was 725. Went up to 800 (black paper) at the maximum or down to 650,
respectively. Never got a difference bigger than 100. Any idea?

Dirk

A friend of mine attempted this setup a while back and came to the
conclusion that he basically needed to be nearly perfectly perpendicular to
the object he was trying to detect. So he decided this was way to
precise/finicky for his general purpose needs (detecting enemy bots on a
sumo ring). So this may be an issue for you as well.

However, if as you have found success by tweaking your code, I would be
interested in seeing it if you care to share.

Jona