 Robotics / RCX / 1528
Re: COLOR light sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:05:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, John Barnes writes:
The device works as follows;

The heart of the thing is a small PIC microcontroller which drives four
different coloured LEDs in sequence and reads the returned energy from the
object in front of the device of unknown colour. It also samples the level
when no LEDs are on so it can back off the ambient light level. One LED is
IR. It is used to detect the presence of an object. The other LEDs are blue,
red and green. The microcontroller takes the values from the three colours
and normalizes them to allow for different overall diffuse reflection
efficiency. Then it uses a rather arbitrary process to decided based on the
relative magnitudes of the three colours where abouts on the spectrum, the
colour is most likely to lie. It then outputs this to a DAC which drives the
constant current transistor to  feed the response back to the RCX. When no
object is present, the response is forced to 0. When an object is present,
the response is either in the range 10 - 90 if a colour is deemed to be
present, or jammed to 100 if the RGB components are equal enough to signify
white.

VERY interesting!  I was just talking with someone at the last SMART meeting
how cool it would be if there was a colour light sensor.  I can't wait to
read more about it!  Keep us informed how you do with it.

I'm not exactly sure what a reading between 10-90 would represent.  A guess
is 10=red, 90=violet.  Is that what you had in mind?  I don't like the
forcing to 100 for white, because that doesn't let you 'see' the spectrum of
greys!

Personally I would prefer being able to read the four values independantly,
and let the software determine what they mean.  The sensor would return them
in sequence, starting with the IR, which would have 512 added to it's value,
and the other three values would be guaranteed to be under 512, and would be
returned in the order Red, Green, and Blue.

--
  David Schilling