 Robotics / RCX / 1379
Re: ANN: Article on dead-reckoning with a Mindstorms robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:08:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Gary Lucas writes:
I thought that those of you who are interested in using
the Lego rotation sensors for dead-reckoning and navigation
might find the following useful.

This month's issue of the Seattle Robotics Society's
"Encoder" includes an article I wrote about my
RCX-based dead-reckoning robot.  Last June, the robot
did pretty well in a odometry contest held by the
Connecticut Robotics Society ( http://www.ctrobots.org ).
The article discusses software issues related to
its operation.

You may find the article at

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200108/using_a_pid.html

Peeves, a Mindstorms-based robot, is driven by a
differential-steering (wheelchair-style) wheel system.
It uses Dave Baum's NQC programming language to implement
a PID control algorithm that allows it to navigate with
acceptable results. The article includes algorithms, math,
and source code. For those of you interested in the
differential-steering technique, a related article appears at

  http://rossum.sourceforge.net/papers/DiffSteer/

                                   gary

Gary, I enjoyed reading about the project.  I liked the article with all of
the links to interesting backup material.  The results are ...impressive!

I have two questions:  The subject model does not have a long fore & aft
axis.  Staying in the corridor depends a lot upon 'aiming' at startup.  How
did you do that?  Also, how did the program 'know' where to begin a turn?

Again, congratulations for your good results.

Jerry