 Robotics / RCX / 1378
Re: Article on dead-reckoning with a Mindstorms robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:12:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Aaron Nabil writes:

Loved your article, reminds me of the great stuff the Boulette Robotics
club does.

I was curious why you used differential steering instead of an
adder/subtractor or synchro drive, were there some rule
limitations on parts you could use?

Thanks for the kind words.

The Connecticut Robotics Society (CRS) dead-reckoning contest has no
special rules limiting the parts or technology used for the robot,
except that it not rely on any kind of external navigation aids
(such as laser-positioning or a differential GPS).   Also, it's
a general robotics contest, not restricted to Lego hardware. While my
own choices were limited by the fact that I wanted to use the stock
Mindstorms kit (plus 2 rotation sensors), that wasn't the main reason
that I chose the differential steering system.  Rather, I used it because
I had written an earlier web page giving navigation algorithms for
differential steering systems and wanted an opportunity
to "put my words into action."

                           gary