 Robotics / RCX / 1339
Re: Rechargeable Batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:14:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Roger Glassey writes:
Jerry:
What is the problem with the NiMH batteries? the low voltage?  Or extra $$ ?
Roger

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jerry Kalpin writes:

Frank, I would *not* use Nicads or NiMH rechargeables.  Their full-charge
voltage is about 1.25V while alkaline batteries are about 1.55.  I have
Ray-O-Vac Rechargeable Alkaline batteries.  They last several hours of
operating time between charges, which for me is a few weeks (adequate
performance).  I have two sets of six and a charger, an investment of about
CAN$60.

Roger, I believe the low voltage is more important.  A side issue is the
battery indicator that you access through NQC (or Robolab) set up in a scale
of 0-9 volts.  Fully charged alkalines are 9+ and discharged ones are 6
volts.  With NiMH full charge would be 7.2 and discharged would be somewhere
around 6.  The discharge curve is fairly flat.  You don't get much warning
when they are about to die.

I bet NiMH batteries would function OK in the RCX.  If you already have NiMH
batteries, try them out and see.  I just believe rechargeable alkalines,
such as Ray-O-Vac Renewals are a better choice...!

Jerry