 Robotics / RCX / 1330
Re: Rechargeable Batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:05:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Frank Caggiano writes:
Hello,

I'm at the point now where I need to get rechargeable batteries for the
RCX. The alkaline's are just now making it anymore.

Are Nicads OK or should I go the extra step and get nickel metal
hydrides (Ni-MH)? How are radio shack's batteries and chargers?

thanks, regards

Frank, I would *not* use Nicads or NiMH rechargeables.  Their full-charge
voltage is about 1.25V while alkaline batteries are about 1.55.  I have
Ray-O-Vac Rechargeable Alkaline batteries.  They last several hours of
operating time between charges, which for me is a few weeks (adequate
performance).  I have two sets of six and a charger, an investment of about
CAN$60.

Nicads are good and NiMH batteries are better for duty cycles of a heavy
current draw now and then with idle periods between, such as in digital
cameras.  In those cases, rechargeable alkalines are no good;  the voltage
drop is too high.  But for LEGO applications the duty cycle more or less
matches what the batteries can provide.

I hope this helps,

Jerry