 Robotics / RCX / 1331
Re: Rechargeable Batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 04:11:03 GMT

In article <3B69FD3A.3DA7E73A@crystal-objects.com>,
caggiano@crystal-objects.com wrote:

Hello,

I'm at the point now where I need to get rechargeable batteries for the
RCX. The alkaline's are just now making it anymore.

Are Nicads OK or should I go the extra step and get nickel metal
hydrides (Ni-MH)? How are radio shack's batteries and chargers?

Nicads have a lower cell voltage (1.2 rather than 1.5), so they won't
work very well in the RCX.

Personally I use rechargeable alkaline cells (e.g. Ray-o-vac Renewal
batteries).  The downside to rechargeable alkalines are that they don't
have great capacity - you'll find yourself recharging them rather
frequently.  On the plus side: they have great shelf life, are cheap,
easy to find, and don't have any memory effect.  I just have an extra
set on hand, and make it a habit to swap sets after an evening of
building.  That way the RCX always has fresh power.

I haven't tried NiMH cells, but I don't know of any reason why they
wouldn't work.  One potential down-side to NiMH is that they have very
short shelf life (they lose their charge quite rapidly even if not in
use).  So if you put your RCX aside for a couple of weeks its very
likely that the NiMH cells will have lost their charge during that time.
If you're using the RCX every day, this isn't an issue.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com