 Robotics / RCX / 1241
Re: Dead RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 03:11:51 GMT

Hi Matthias,

normally I'd call LEGO service.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the power connection is lost.
That shouldn't happen to an unopened RCX, but who knows.
The power connection from the batteries to the mainboard is
by metal clips, which are not soldered but only press against
connector areas on the mainboard, so if they are slightly bent
that contact may be lost.  That happened to me after opening
the Code pilot, so I opened it again, bent them back and
it works again.
Thanks for the response. I tried bending the tabs to ensure they were
making contact with the batteries. That didn't work, so I opened the
case and confirmed that the 9V (actually 9.6V) was reaching the
voltage regulator. It was, so I know that the metal tabs are making
good contact. No output from the regulator though.....
I called Mindstorms tech support and reported the problem. They say
they will mail me a new one. The surprising thing is that they didn't
ask me to send the old one back. I don't have the tools to work on SMT
components, but I might take a stab at replacing the regulator in the
old one when the new one arrives. I won't do it now, just in case they
ask me to send the old one back.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ