 Robotics / RCX / 1231
Re: RCX and IR Range Characteristics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:44:31 GMT

hi Ralph,

I think I'm lucky.
I just did some experiments with a modified IR-tower.
The modifications were: the "keep alive trick" from John Barnes and my own trick to add a few more diodes to get rid of the 9V battery.
Without a batttery in the tower (switched to long mode) and the RCX (NiCd's 7.1 V) I get a good communication over 4 meters (I think thats about 14 feet). If I check bare communication (with a standard RS232 driver, not spririt.ocx) I get a 4 meter range from tower to RCX. From RCX to tower is larger than my room (8*8 meter) and I can point to any location in my room.

I think the tower without a battery still can be improved (because all my remote controls from TV etc, mostly with 2*1.5V batteries perform better).
I hope John Barnes will draw the circuit diagram and then I'll see further.

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Hi All,

A while back, Ben Erwin asked about other user's experiences
with the IR tower and range.

I'm trying to characterize a persistent problem with
the pbForth serial library, with respect to message reliability.

It seems that even in high range mode, I can't communicate
more than a few feet with my RCX and tower. I'm using a 9V 800mA
adapter with no load on the RCX to power both the tower and
the RCX.

I'll measure the voltage eventually to see if the tower is
pulling the supply down, but I doubt it.

I've looked through the legOS source and see that it prefers
near range comms, I've found these the most reliable too.

When I do pbForth work in classrooms, I end up having to cover
the bots with towels to keep the stray IR out, but I'll be
darned if the bots communicate more than a few feet away.

Maybe that's why the remote has to send messages over, and
over, and over...

Does anyone else have some IR experience they would like to
share with the group?

Cheers, Ralph Hempel

met vriendelijke groet,
Stef Mientki