 Robotics / RCX / 1229
Re: RCX and IR Range Characteristics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:52:35 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Ralph Hempel writes:
Hi All,

SNIP
It seems that even in high range mode, I can't communicate
more than a few feet with my RCX and tower. I'm using a 9V 800mA
adapter with no load on the RCX to power both the tower and
the RCX.
Does anyone else have some IR experience they would like to
share with the group?
SNIP

Not experience, but perhaps the location of the IR diodes in the tower is
effecting it's peformance?  As other people have noted before, the diodes
are not located behind the smooth molded "windows" in the tower, but lower,
behind the matt frosted part.  Does the matt finish make the IR too diffuse?
I  wonder what would happen if you took the tower apart, and tried it
without the red front panel?

Regards,

Jeff