 Robotics / RCX / 1230
RE: RCX and IR Range Characteristics?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:04:21 GMT

As expected Jeff Hazen and John Barnes sent along a few
itmes of interest.

I'm trying to characterize a persistent problem with
the pbForth serial library, with respect to message reliability.

It seems that even in high range mode, I can't communicate
more than a few feet with my RCX and tower. I'm using a 9V 800mA
adapter with no load on the RCX to power both the tower and
the RCX.

Jeff asked if the diffuse cover of the tower had any effect
at all. From my experiments, Jeff - the answer is no.

John Barnes suggested that the bit-balancing act that the LEGO
designers went through in the protocol was not there to intentionally
slow things down! In fact, this is the main determination
of range.

If I send "U" characters (0x55) I get quite a large range (longer
than the room I'm in). Other characters, depending on bit balancing
give less range.

It looks like I may need to keep normal (non-balanced) ASCII communications
on the low range so that the IREDs are not swamped, and maybe add a balanced
mode too.

Note that this may affect the LNP thing in legOS - does anyone know
if legOS uses balanced bits?

Cheers, Ralph