 Robotics / RCX / 1189
Re: Help with Windows 2000 and nqc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 18:34:25 GMT

Cycling through all of the Com ports with the nqc command (nqc -SCOM1,2,4 -d
test.nqc) gives the message 'Could not open serial port' for each port
tried. nqc -SCOM3 -d test.nqc gives the error 'no replay from RCX'. With the
-v option, Com Ports 1,2 and 4 give 'Could not open serial port' and Com
Port 3 gives the output:

Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Tx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Rx: 55 ff 00 10 ef 10 ef
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Tx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
Rx: 55 ff 00 18 e7 18 e7
No reply from RCX

I have tried all of the simple things (batteries, check cables, re-install
lego software, reboot, re-register spirit.ocx) to no avail. Any additional
insight is appreciated.

Rich Thompson
http://www.robotthoughts.com

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dave Baum writes:
What com port is the tower attached to?  By default, NQC assumes com
port 1.  If you use a different port, you'll need to specify it either
with a -S option or by setting the RCX_PORT environment variable.  For
example, if you are using COM 2, you could so this to download foo.nqc:

nqc -SCOM2 -d foo.nqc

Try using NQC from the command line.  Does it print any error messages?
If it says it can't find nqc, then its a path issue...make sure the
directory that contains nqc.exe is in your PATH variable.  If it says it
can't open the serial port, make sure you specified the port correctly
and that no other programs are using the port.  If it says it cannot see
the IR tower and/or the RCX, then try again adding the -v option which
will print out some verbose debugging information, then post that
information so I can take a look at it.

Dave

In article <GBGMIJ.MBF@lugnet.com>, "Rich Thompson"
<rich@robotthoughts.com> wrote:

(and all of the RCXcc updates)

I have been happily using Linux to write nqc programs for over a year
now,
but I needed to migrate back to Windows 2000 for a while. So far, I can
do
everything I need except program my RCX! I loaded the Mindstorms software
register spirit.ocx and ran regsvr32 c:/winnt/spirit.ocx for good
measure.
Neither RCXcc or nqc (nqc -s(1|4) -clear) can find the RCX tower (no
green
light). I am flummoxed... I have read that others have run nqc under Win
2k
without issue. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

In linux, I would assume that one of my paths is not set properly. Is
this a
possibility in Win2K?

Thanks for any help...

Rich Thompson