 Robotics / RCX / 1190
Re: BattleBricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:20:47 GMT

Will Gorman <willgorman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GBFt8L.F6F@lugnet.com...
Hello All,

Just wanted to let you know about a site my friends and I put together.
Check it out, and let me know what you think!

www.battlebricks.com

Will

I've been doing exactly this kind of thing with a few other people (all the
robots are human-controlled, but mostly with wires) -- it seems fairly
popular. Somebody should organise a large national event :-)
I'm currently making a web-site with information on some of the 30-40 robots
from the 10 battles I've been involved with, and guidance for people who
want to get started. Perhaps someone should make a universal site, covering
all Lego robot combat events?
The biggest problem I've encountered is a lack of people entering -- what's
the best way you know of getting lots of competitors?
And what's the most destructive weapon you've ever seen? The only weapons
I've seen which cause major damage are ones that spin round (is there a
proper name for them?!), and the most powerful spinning-weapon I've seen is
the one I made myself -- 4 motors, 65cm wide (2 pieces of curved monorail
track), 400rpm, with the ends travelling at 50km/h (with new batteries). It
was extremely destructive when it hit the opponent, but I had only one motor
and a pneumatic cylinder to drive with, so I rarely managed to reach the
opponent... There are some pictures of it at
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3970, along with a photo of
what it did to a Lego man's hand.
My new design uses three motors for the weapon and two to drive, and the
weapon is a ring shape (made from 4 pieces of curved monorail track in a
circle) which shouldn't stop as soon as it hits the enemy. I'm still
building it, but I can't wait to see what damage it causes...

--
Philip Taylor
philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk