 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 24
  Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

Here's a trick to get a faster rate on the LCD display refresh. It currently takes 16 milliseconds to refresh the NXT LCD. 16 "messages" are sent to the LCD. One message is sent per millisecond. There are two messages from the ARM to the LCD for (...) (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) I already got one shade of grey out of it by flicking between two images at the current rate: (URL) I use all those spare cycles to mix and merge screen layers in real time, so this image has full parallax scrolling. I've been trying to do (...) (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, FTX)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) This kind of works. In the first instance, you get two identical shades of grey. In the second instance (and I've tried this) you'd be surprised to see that the difference in shades between the two greys is actually very small. You really need (...) (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) <snip> (...) This is really interesting. If I understand correctly, to get colors, or at least shades of grey, you have to refresh the screen quickly and the "darker" the pixel, the more often it shows up in the pattern. For example, let's say (...) (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) So that is how you did it. I was wondering about this ever since I saw the announcement. Incidentally, this would have been great cross posted to .color as well. <</robotics/nxt/?n=539>> Doug (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, FTX)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) Okay, there's a little more to it than this. If you have a display that supports greyscales, it can control the level of the voltage jolt that's applied to each pixel during the actual refresh cycle. That way you get a smoother display with (...) (17 years ago, 22-Mar-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, FTX)

  Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

(...) Could you be a little more specific regarding the changes you made to this method: UBYTE DisplayUpdate(UWORD Height,UWORD Width,UBYTE *pImage) { static UWORD State = 0; static UWORD Line; if (State == 0) { if (DisplayWrite(CMD,(U...itString)) (...) (17 years ago, 4-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking)

  RE: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh

Change the init message for the LCD display driver to perform wrap around. Offset 12 in the following structure from 0x88 to 0x89. Otherwise it will keep overwriting the same line. Your code snippet doesn't show it, but I'm sure you kept the call (...) (17 years ago, 4-Apr-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking)