 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 35
Re: Faster NXT LCD Screen Refresh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:11:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking, Dick Swan wrote:
Here's a trick to get a faster rate on the LCD display refresh.

Could you be a little more specific regarding the changes you made to this
method:

UBYTE     DisplayUpdate(UWORD Height,UWORD Width,UBYTE *pImage)
{
  static  UWORD State = 0;
  static  UWORD Line;

  if (State == 0)
  {
    if (DisplayWrite(CMD,(UBYTE*)DisplayInitString,sizeof(DisplayInitString)) ==
TRUE)
    {
      Line = 0;
      State++;
    }
  }
  else
  {
    if ((State & 1))
    {
      if (DisplayWrite(CMD,(UBYTE*)DisplayLineString[Line],3) == TRUE)
      {
        State++;
      }
    }
    else
    {
      if (DisplayWrite(DAT,(UBYTE*)&pImage[Line * Width],ACTUAL_WIDTH) == TRUE)
      {
        State++;
        if (++Line >= (Height / 8))
        {
          State = 0;
        }
      }
    }
  }

  return (State);
}

So far everything I have tried has resulted in garbage on the screen.  The
approach that I thought would work given the original description of the tweak
was along these lines:

    if ((State & 1))
    {
      // always set the address for line zero
      if (DisplayWrite(CMD,(UBYTE*)DisplayLineString[0],3) == TRUE)
        State++;
    }
    else
    {
      if (DisplayWrite(DAT,(UBYTE*)&pImage[0],132*8) == TRUE)
        State = 0;
    }

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

John Hansen