 Robotics / NXT / 970
969  |  971
Subject:
Source Code Changes in NXT Firmware Version 1.05
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:56:21 GMT

I haven't seen it previously mentioned but the open source firmware for
version 1.05 is downloadable from the LEGO Mindstorms web site.

I did a WINDIFF on the various source files to see what has changed in this
release. I then manually examined the differences between the two versions
of each file to see what has changed. It turns out there's a few bug fixes
and the addition of compression sound file playback. The small handful of
bug fixes are very minor changes.

I slightly screwed up and compared against the 1.03 version source rather
than the later 1.04 version. Since 1.04 had very little changes, I didn't
bother redoing the comparison.

For those that want it, the gory details are below.

1.    Lots of benign changes to comments. Usually changing comment style
     from '// xxxxxx' to '/* xxxxxxxx */'.

2. Most files have initial comments that contain the "version" and
      "change date" of the file. I think these are automatically
      generated by source code management system. In almost all of the
      files, these have changed. This is often the only change in the file.

3. Firmware version constant changed to 1.05.

4. Added new "file type" for compressed sound files.

5. c_cmd.c
      - Added code to initialize I2C as part of reset devices function.
      - "Unflatten" opcode enhanced / rewritten. Looks like to setup
        default value and size. Likely a minor bug correction.
      - Fixed buffer overwrite issue on I2C circular buffer. This may
        have been in 1.04?

6. c_sound.c
      - Added "Out = In" on SoundStop. Looks like pointer was not getting
        properly re-initialized at end of playback abort in earlier
        version.

7. Ioctrl.r
      - removed conditionally compiled code used during debugging. It was
        not being included in the standard production firmware.

8. d_loader.r and d_loader.c
      - added some initialization code to empty buffer for files being
        written.
      - Changed the order of "checking for "append already in progress"
        When opening a file for second time.

9. d_loader.h
      - Changed start of file system from 0x11F000 to 0x121400. I.E.
        firmware file is now 0x2400 bytes bigger.

10. d_lowspeed interim.c
      - New file. Contains code moved from d_lowspeed.c.

11. d_lowspeed.c
      - Several functions moved to new file above. Uncertain if they have
        changed.

12. d_lowspeed.r
      - Low speed (I2C) interrupt handler moved to this file. Uncertain
        what has changed in it.

13. d_output.c
      - Removed inactive debugging code that created a internal trace of
        commands
      - Added code on motor synchronization to set value of
        "tachoCountToRun" for the secondary motor.

14. d_sound.r
      - Added code for playback of ADPCM files.

15. d_sound_adpcm.r
      - New file contains ADPCM decoder function.