 Robotics / NXT / 810
Re: New assembler for NXT :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:48:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Matteo Valdina wrote:
Hi, I'm Matteo Valdina and I'm the main developer of NXTAssembler.
NXTAssembler is an assembler for the standard firmware of Lego
Mindstorms NXT.This project can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nxtassembler and for
information http://www.matteozan.it/content/project/NXT/index.jsp.

This project is written in Java 1.5 and describes the source code in
XML. (The XML is described by a XML Schema file, this file ca be
download at http://www.matteozan.it/NXT/AssemblerSyntax.xsd)

I just had a look at your project.  It is very cool!  I am very glad to see that
someone else is trying to sort out how to generate valid NXT executables.

Hopefully you've been able to piggy-back on some of my NBC work so that you
haven't had to completely figure it all out on your own.  I didn't find the
contents of the executable file format document to be very good for figuring out
complicated things like nested arrays and structs containing arrays.  I'm still
not 100% sure my code is completely correct in all situations.

I wish I had more free time to help out on your project but I've got way too
many things up in the air already. :-(

I am hoping sometime soon to find some time to work on a Not eXactly Basic
language as well as a Not eXactly Pascal language built into the NBC compiler.
Maybe by early 2008 that'll be a reality.  Probably before I get to those I'll
be dedicating some time to adding support in BricxCC for pbLua and leJOS NXJ
along the lines of its existing support for pbForth and leJOS for the RCX brick.

I've also been thinking a lot lately about working on a brickOS-type project for
the NXT.  Is anyone out there interested in developing something along those
lines?  It would be really easy to implement something like "Quite C" for the
NXT where every program is a full firmware replacement build but that seems to
not be the best approach.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

John Hansen