 Robotics / NXT / 811
810  |  812
Subject:
New BricxCC test release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:47:45 GMT

I have uploaded a new BricxCC test release that includes some new BricxCC
features that folks have requested.

1. From the NXT Screen tool you can execute utility functions such as renaming
your NXT, resetting Bluetooth to factory defaults, and rebooting your NXT into
firmware download mode.  These options involve confirmation dialogs so there is
no risk of accidentally performing any of these operations on your NXT.

2. From the Diagnostics tool window you can now request additional details
regarding your NXT including the Name, the Bluetooth address (aka the NXT serial
number or ID), the Bluetooth connection signal strength for all four active BT
connections, and the amount of free flash memory.

3. The Brick Piano and the MIDI Conversion tools both now include support for
generating NXC source code as well as fixes for minor problems with the NBC code
generation.  I will be adding leJOS NXJ and pbLua support RSN. :-)

4. The Sound Conversion tool now includes support for creating compressed RSO
files using a compression mode that will be supported in the next version (1.05)
of the standard NXT firmware (due out in August 2007).  The new firmware version
will support both compressed and uncompressed RSO files.  Compressed RSO files
will be 1/2 the size of uncompressed files.  The compression used is IMA ADPCM.

5. The Send Messages tool now fully supports NXT-style messages.  You can send
to any NXT mailbox.  You can send boolean, numeric, or text messages.  I should
mention that this capability is largely untested and there may be bugs which
will need fixing.  If you try this out let me know if you have problems with it.
One thing very likely to be problematic is the "response" option since there is
nothing running in BricxCC to respond to any polling for messages that would
occur if the NXT was configured as the master device.

6. The Memory Map tool now works with the NXT.  Its contents are quite a bit
different from its contents with the RCX or other programmable bricks.  With the
NXT it lists all the files on the brick with their size.  It also lists all the
firmware modules, their module IDs, and the IOMap size.  And it lists the amount
of free flash memory on the NXT.

7. The IDE supports RICScript (mentioned in an earlier post) which lets you
create RIC files using a very simple text-based programming language.  There are
new code templates included in the zip for all the commands you can use within
an RIC file.  To take advantage of 256 parameters rather than just 16 and to
fully support the Pixel and Circle commands that are broken in the standard NXT
firmware you will need to have my enhanced standard NXT firmware installed on
your NXT.  The enhanced firmware also lets you specify pixel clear operations in
addition to pixel set operations via the "options" parameter of most RICScript
commands.

8. The IDE editor now includes parameter hints for all the NXC API functions and
RICScript commands.  Fully integrated context sensitive help for NBC and NXC (as
well as NPG and RICScript) is coming soon.

9. This test release build of BricxCC includes a preview of the upcoming beta 32
NBC/NXC compiler which includes a few minor bug fixes (so far).

If you have requests for improvements or additional features in support of the
NXT in the IDE please let me know and I will see about adding them whenever
possible.

The link to the test release is at http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/ in the NXT
News section near the top of the page.

John Hansen