 Robotics / NXT / 788
787  |  789
Subject:
Teaching Bluetooth and Protocols
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:18:50 GMT

I've reached a goal this summer.  Last week, 5 kids got into Bluetooth and made
simple remote controls.  I provided two simple NXT-G programs, BTSend on the
Master NXT Remote Control and BTRecv on the Robot Slave.

BTSend uses the left and right NXT buttons to increment/decrement Number1
inclusively between 0 and 4.  It also displays the number and plays a
corresponding tone.  Pressing the Enter button sends the numeric message.

BTRecv takes the numeric message and feeds a flat Switch.  It's up to the kids
to define what each value does.  Some used 2 to stop, some used 0.  They also
assigned forward, reverse and left/right turns to chosen message values.

This was meant to be a lesson on creating a "language", which they learned very
quickly.  It then became a hodge podge lesson on communication protocol.

Setting up a proper Master-Slave relationship was often confused by the attempt
to get a connection.  If attempts using the Master RC to establish a connection
with the Robot Slave seemed futile, the kids would try getting a connection from
the Slave to the Master.  That confusion was easily resolved by Rule 1: "Use the
Master to connect to the Slave."

At some point, only 5 sets of Master-Slaves could operate at any one time.
Additional attempts to establish additional connections failed.

Question: How can I get around the seeming 5 set limit?  Or is there really such
a limit?