 Robotics / NXT / 757
    Moving NXT motors by hand —John Watson
   Hi: Sometimes my son and I move the NXT motors by hand, for instance, by attaching something to the holes in the orange hubs to act as a crank. We wonder if that's bad for the motors. Does anyone have an opinion? Regards, John and Will (17 years ago, 28-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Moving NXT motors by hand —Danny Staple
     Hi John, I would not think so, as the NXT's own construction guide has a pick and place (blue ball, red ball) robot, that has hand cranks to move it into position. Danny (...) (17 years ago, 28-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Moving NXT motors by hand —Jean-Marc Nimal
   (...) John, there are a lot of people using the NXT motors this way, just to get the feedback from the built-in rotation sensors. The best example would be the MDPers who built one joystick with a NXT kit to control a moving vehicle made with (...) (17 years ago, 28-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Moving NXT motors by hand —John Watson
     Thanks! (17 years ago, 28-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

         RE: Moving NXT motors by hand —Elizabeth Mabrey
     Hand crank it alone should be find. As a matter of fact, that's how we demonstrate to kids a generator. However, just to be on the safe side, I would recommend you not to hand crank it when it is hooked onto to the power source, especially when it (...) (17 years ago, 28-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Moving NXT motors by hand —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) Well, I don't want to claim to be an expert, but I'll tell you what I've done. I have a couple remotes that I've been using for over a year, and I haven't had problems with them. One not only uses the rotation sensors, but also uses the motors (...) (17 years ago, 29-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

        Re: Moving NXT motors by hand —Brian Davis
   (...) Well, if by "more qualified" you mean "have abused their hardware harder than average, yes :-). Since day 1 I've back-driven the NXT motors by hand, including the magic motor demo (not as efficient with the NXT motors, but it does work), using (...) (17 years ago, 29-May-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)