 Robotics / NXT / 763
Re: Moving NXT motors by hand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 13:06:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Jean-Marc Nimal wrote:

We wonder if that's bad for the motors.

...maybe said MDPers will have a more qualified
advice; maybe they fried their motors already :-/

Well, if by "more qualified" you mean "have abused their hardware harder than
average, yes :-). Since day 1 I've back-driven the NXT motors by hand, including
the magic motor demo (not as efficient with the NXT motors, but it does work),
using them as remote control inputs (even under brake or driven mode, where I'm
using them in a "force feedback" mode where I'm pushing the motor "the wrong
way" while the NXt tries to drive it the other way), etc. I've yet to burn out a
motor yet. The LNE design stalls out a *lot*, and again after I don't know how
many hours of stalling those motors, or driving the robot off 1 to 2 foot high
steps, the electronics have yet to quit (I've really scratched up some of the
ABS however... it turns out repeated backflips on concrete tends to score the
ABS. Go figure.).

If you want a more "LEGO certified" example (I would), keep in mind there is a
"Record and Play" block in NXT-G, where you are *supposed* to move the motors
(wheels) by hand, while the NXT records the movements, so it appears this aspect
was considered by the designers long before now.

I'm certain you can break the NXT motors - after all, you can break anything,
and LEGO (will amaziingly good) is not mil-spec. But I can tell you that LNE is
wearing down 8t gears from repeated use before damaging the motors from stall
conditions.

--
Brian Davis