 Robotics / NXT / 482
Re: NXC/NBC release news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:08:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Alfonso Martone wrote:
Hi John!

I think there is not an urgent need for a clear-screen flag in a
bunch of NXT screen functions. That is, my sources are full of
"false," flags :-)

  TextOut(...,true,...);
  TextOut(...,false,...);
  TextOut(...,false,...);
  LineOut(...,false);
  LineOut(...,false);
  RectOut(...,false);
  CircleOut(...,false);

(well, I defined some macros to not to write that "false" dozens of
times) :-)

I would agree. I would prefer versions of the graphics commands that didn't
include the clear screen flag. The fact that LEGO designed the firmware to
require the flag with each of these doesn't mean it's needed in a high level
language.

Of course what would be nice is if instead if the clearscreen parameter there
was a possibility of including the *colour* of your text, circles, lines, etc.
We'd still have four parameters, but instead of one of them being useless, it
would be very useful. Unfortunately LEGO didn't include that in this version of
their firmware. We can only hope for a future version that includes this!

That's why there isn't a better way to clear out the text, by the way -- all the
commands only draw in black. Though writing text does clear the 6x8 pixel
rectangle that a character goes into. This is why you need to write a row of
spaces before overwriting older text. Be thankful that you can do it!

--
  David Schilling