 Robotics / NXT / 345
  Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

All, For those of you that have been asking the question: "When will we get a simple text-based programming environment for the NXT?" I can now announce the availability of pbLua Beta 1 at: (URL) This is an implementation of Lua 5.1 for the NXT, and (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt) !

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I am very excited about the availability of pbLua. It looks extremely cool. And fast. BricxCC already has built-in support for Lua syntax highlighting. You can also have BricxCC claim the .lua file extension via the Preferences dialog if you (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) This is a fantastic development! Not too long ago, I was involved in Sony PSP hacking. Although the GCC toolchain was relatively easy to build, and lots of sample code was around for writing C++ programs for the PSP, the rate of new software (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) not simple text-based languages for the NXT. Sorry for any confusion. Ralph (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) No need to apologize, Ralph. And I definitely didn't mean to hijack your thread. Unfortunately some folks hear "assembly" and get a completely mistaken impression about NBC. Anyone who has had a look at Ross Crawford's NBC Tuturial knows how (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) That's a very nice page, John. I'm glad you at least went through the trouble of changing the background, before you claimed to have done the work and posted it. Here's the page I've been working on for several days, before John copied it. (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, John Hansen wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) All - it is appropriate to note that the table referred to above was created by Steve Hassenplug. It was reformatted to put NBC and NXC first and recolored. Oh, and the column (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Maybe we should use the word "coincidence" that both parties were working on similar projects at the same time. Stranger things have happened you know. Lightup SW figs for instance. Who would have thought that two entities would invent the (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Bryan, you should be more careful about making unfounded libelous accusations. I did not copy Steve's page. I gathered the data independently. I began the project on my own in response to a query in the lugnet.robotics newsgroup. Were portions (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Programming for NXT

(...) I've spent a great deal of time talking with developers and updating the page, so I believe all the facts are correct. I apologize if I gave you the impression I was not going to correct factual errors. Steve (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

John - Your accusation that Steve wouldn't correct facts is not true...your debate (held on a private forum) with him was over a row in the table that contained his opinions - and Steve always represented them as HIS opinions. ***...*** To the rest (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Greetings, Steve. I am glad to see all this info in one place. Next time you update your table, you could replace the ??? in the Lejos NXJ column, floating point row, with a YES. No doubt about it. The Java Math library was even implemented in (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Finally! I can put an actual link to your project on the sidebar! (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Ralph, thanx for the great work independently from the trouble at the list, I have some questions: What is needed to communicate with the NXT at PC side (Linux or OSX) Terminalemulation ? How are files transfered to the NXT ? XModem, ZModem, (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Hi Ralph, I have some more questions about pbLua... Is the NXT-Lua-API public available ? My idea is to use your pbLua-functions at my PC running Lua-Interpreter, replaceing low level stuff with own functions... This allows me to write and (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Hi Ralph, it's great to see this. I'm eager to have a play. Apologies if I've been part of the bother with sending you emails. In releasing details of your toolset, are you revealing your source code too? Both would be an enormous help to people (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

What is the method to load the pbLua firmware, preferably in OS X? It's a .bin file so NXT-G doesn't recognize it. I tried renaming it to a .rfw file and it succeeds but then gets stuck in samba click mode. Then I tried libnxt's fwflash, holding (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) It sounds like you DID get it loaded right here. At this point, I believe you need to unplug the NXT from the USB, then reconnect it. (...) You need to reset the NXT. Press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds. Then, you should be able to (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I'm still building and finalizing the API. I should probably start posting some questions on this forum... Eventually I'd like to get the API and the Lua table out there but I need to get docs set up. If you can help with install instructions (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I think pbLua is actually running. The problem is that the signon screen does not get displayed until the USB connection is made. Which is why I need to find out how USB enumeration happens on a Mac. The pbLua firmware makes the NXT look like (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Ralph, I can wait for API-docs 8-) In the meantime I try to find out how USB-communication (with libusb and terminalemulation) can work on OSX (10.4.x) and Linux. Is the NXT acting like an USB-Modem (asynchronous communication) What are the (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) This would definitely be useful for me! I am currently programming an interface for controling a train layout. This is the kind of thing that needs good graphics. There is a lot of situation where advanced graphics are useful in robotics. (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Here are my notes on what I've been able to accomplish so far in OSX on my MacBookPro. Loading pbLua firmware on nxt running standard firmware: 1. plugin usb 2. rename nxt-lua.bin to nxt-lua.rfw 3. open NXT-G, goto Tools -> Update NXT Firmware. (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Tony, thanks for the work so far. What happens if, after the firmware is loaded you do any of the following: 1. Reset the NXT (press reset for less than 1 second) 2. Unplug the USB cable, wait 5 seconds, and plug it back in again (...) Here's (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Nothing, it restarts back to blank screen, samba clicking mode. (...) Same thing. I also tried pulling the batteries for a few seconds. Telling USB Probe to refresh. 100 different combinations of resetting with and without usb plugged in, (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Thanks for the support - I thought I was the only one! My main aim was to go for the sort of graphics libraries that support games, so if you could spare the memory you could draw on hidden screens, copy chunks of screens around, display (...) (18 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Hi pbLua-Fans, while waiting for Ralphs nxt = {}, I'm started some more test at my PC... and this it the result of today: (URL) was written using murgaLua (Lua5.1+FLTK+Luasocket). Some simple routines for emulating pbLUa are alreay running 8-) (...) (18 years ago, 25-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Programming for NXT

(...) Would it help to add a "Last Updated: mm/dd/yyyy" to this page? Thank you Andy (18 years ago, 13-Feb-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)