 Robotics / NXT / 222
Re: Date/Time Clock for NXT?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:26:20 GMT

Hi Dick,

"Dick Swan" <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> writes:

A date/time clock would be a useful addition to the NXT. Naturally, it
should continue to operate even when the NXT is powered "down". So
here's a question for any hardware gurus that have a good
understanding of the NXT schematic.

The ARM processor on the NXT has a low power mode where it can be
powered off except for a small portion contaiining a real-time clock
(RTC). I think you can configure the ARM into a very low power mode so
that the RTC clock continues to operate and can periodically wake up
the rest of the processor via an interrupt. I think this might be all
that is required to implement a date/time clock that can be
continuously updating even when NXT is powered down;  the NXT would
wake up every few seconds to perform a few microseconds of work to
update the clock variable and then go back to sleep. Powered down mode
would be redefined to mean "set the ARM CPU to a low-power state where
RAM and RTC are still powered on but CPU is inactive".

that is all less than crystal clear from the AT91SAM7S data sheet,
but plausible.

In particular, I suspect that the NXT may have circuitry
controlled by the 8-bit AVR processor that disconnects all
power to the ARM CPU so that you can't set the ARM into a
low-power state. Anybody able to answer this question?

I think so, too.  On page 2 at the left there is the circuit
which generates VCC3V, and it is controlled by the AVR via P_EN.

The 1.8V for the core is presumably generated by the AT91 itself
from the 3V (it can do that, and there is no other circuit for it),
and I don't see any other power than VCC3V going into the AT91.

It would be nice if I were wrong

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>