 Robotics / NXT / 221
220  |  222
Subject:
Date/Time Clock for NXT?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:31:36 GMT

A date/time clock would be a useful addition to the NXT. Naturally, it
should continue to operate even when the NXT is powered "down". So
here's a question for any hardware gurus that have a good
understanding of the NXT schematic.

The ARM processor on the NXT has a low power mode where it can be
powered off except for a small portion contaiining a real-time clock
(RTC). I think you can configure the ARM into a very low power mode so
that the RTC clock continues to operate and can periodically wake up
the rest of the processor via an interrupt. I think this might be all
that is required to implement a date/time clock that can be
continuously updating even when NXT is powered down;  the NXT would
wake up every few seconds to perform a few microseconds of work to
update the clock variable and then go back to sleep. Powered down mode
would be redefined to mean "set the ARM CPU to a low-power state where
RAM and RTC are still powered on but CPU is inactive".

I don't understand the NXT hardware / schematic well enough to know
whether this is possible. In particular, I suspect that the NXT may
have circuitry controlled by the 8-bit AVR processor that disconnects
all power to the ARM CPU so that you can't set the ARM into a
low-power state. Anybody able to answer this question?