 Robotics / NXT / 198
Re: LCD image editor for the NXT -- at LEGO Engineering.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 06:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Jordan Bradford wrote:
I just found out about this website, a partnership between LEGO and Tufts
University's Center for Engineering Educational Outreach:

<http://www.legoengineering.com/>

Of special interest is their LCD image editor application for the NXT
(Windows only), found here:

<http://www.legoengineering.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=60>

Hmmm. Just created a simple image and uploaded it using the NXT explorer, but
when I try to display it, nothing displays and syscall returns -122. Same
program displays faceopen.ric ok, but curiously syscall returns -3 for that,
even though the doco says non-zero return = error. Here's my program:

The way that RIC files are drawn, a valid file will always produce an error
result.  This is because the code iterates through all the opcodes in the RIC
file, executing each of them in turn until there are no more opcodes left.  At
that point it exits with an error response indicating that there are no more
valid opcodes left.

Ah, so it's just the documentation which is unclear.

Early versions of the NXT Explorer window in BricxCC and NextTool were not using
the linear open command for RIC images as they were supposed to.  I am nearly
certain that the latest versions of BricxCC and NextTool are now using the
correct code for uploading an icon file to the NXT.  Perhaps this might explain
the error you are getting.  Can you try downloading the current test_release.zip
from the BricxCC website and try your test again?

Yep, that now draws correctly and returns -3 same as faceopen.ric.

Thanks!

ROSCO