 Robotics / NXT / 182
Re: Defective Ultrasonic sensor - Please Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:56:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Patrick J. Levy wrote:
I decide to start a new subject for this, because I just figured out the problem
with my US sensor. Thanks to Philo advice, i did easily open the sensor and I
found this broken wire connection.

So, when I connect this wire in the place it seems to belong, the US sensor
start to measure the distances as expected, but when i get near from some object
(9- inches), the measure get a little wrong (+/- 1 inch difference), and it
never measure anything beneath 3 inches (even if the sensor is just touching the
wall).

I am concerned if i am doing the right connection, or if the US sensor really
has this tolerance (I belive not, but you never knows...)

If anybody could tell me if this difference is expected, or if anybody already
opened the sensor, please let me know if the wire connections are right.

In the URL bellow is a simple diagram of the circuit board, and the indicative
of all the wire connections, and also showing the broken connection.

http://www.tdi-ng.com.br/patrick/lego/internals/us/us_board.gif

Thanks everybody.

Patrick

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue. Special thanks to Philo who
pointed the right direction to open the US Sensor. Now it's fixed and working
all right.

Finaly I got an answer from Lego support, but they told me there could be a
calibration issue:

(...)It is possible to calibirate the sensor values through the MINDSTORMS NXT
directly. It is also possible to download a calibration command and calibrate
your sensors while running a program on the NXT.(...)

Since my sensor working, it does not matter, but i get curious, because I could
not find none of the option above for the US sensor...

Anyone knows if there is a calibration method for the US sensor?

Patrick Levy