 Robotics / NXT / 181
Re: Defective Ultrasonic sensor - Please Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:19:43 GMT

In article <J7AuCz.GsB@lugnet.com>, Patrick Levy
<patrick@omiccron.com.br> writes
I decide to start a new subject for this, because I just figured out the problem
with my US sensor. Thanks to Philo advice, i did easily open the sensor and I
found this broken wire connection.

Interesting, it did not seem easy to do, and as Lego have published the
circuit diagram I lost interest in doing so.

For the circuit information see the Hardware Developer Kit here:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/Overview/NXTreme.aspx

So, when I connect this wire in the place it seems to belong, the US sensor
start to measure the distances as expected, but when i get near from some object
(9- inches), the measure get a little wrong (+/- 1 inch difference),

I think this is normal.

The sensor relies on reflected sound.  Hard surfaces directly facing the
sensor work best.  Angled surfaces or soft fabrics (e.g. a towel)
reflects very little sound in the correct direction.

and it
never measure anything beneath 3 inches (even if the sensor is just touching the
wall).

Mine measures down to about 2 inches, perhaps this is related to the
sensor alignment that you mentioned before?  Both transmitter & receiver
appear to accurately face directly out of the sensor holes.

If anybody could tell me if this difference is expected, or if anybody already
opened the sensor, please let me know if the wire connections are right.

I tried opening the sensor before, but did not manage to release the
cover.  If I can get the cover off, (without needing a hacksaw!), I am
happy to take a photo of the inside.

Regards,
Tony
--
  The NXT Step blog discusses the Lego Mindstorms NXT:
  http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/