 Robotics / NXT / 104
Re: Bluetooth Commands via Perl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:29:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, David Wallace wrote:
Has anyone successfully been able to send BT commands to the NXT using Perl on
Windows and get a response?

I guess no one is using Perl to communicate with the NXT over Bluetooth. Or
everyone is busy building bots.

I found something that seems to work reliably on my HP Laptop running Windows
2000. It has a built-in CSR Bluetooth module that is 1.1 compliant and is driven
by an HP BT stack (probably bought from Widcomm or someone else).

I'll include what works for me in case anyone else is looking for this info:

$data = "\x02\x00\x01\x88"; # Get Firmware Version
open(PORT, "+> :raw", COM6);
syswrite(PORT, $data, length data);
sysread PORT, $len, 2;
sysread PORT, $result, ord($len);

The result can then be printed or handled however you like. Of course, this is
just a quick-and-dirty version that has no error-handling and uses my COM port.

The first read gets the length value and the second read gets the remaining data
sent by the NXT based on this length.

I also verified that it works for Get Battery Level and Get Device Info.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has success with this or if it
doesn't work. I would also be interested in hearing if anyone has a better way.

David Wallace