 Robotics / Handy Board / 8637
8636  |  8638
Subject:
USB 1 with Handyboard.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:29:37 GMT

I am a member of CAD CAM EDM DRO group on Yahoo

There is an ongoing dicussion about developing a
black box for controlling Hobby CNC machines.

Currently machines are controlled by the LPT
printer port. This has two disadvantages

1) PC are always servicing interrupts and any
delay in servicing the CNC machine is disaster.
Some people survive with Windows but a number use
Linux with Real time extensions

2) Printer ports are going away in favour of USB.

The discussion thread is about a black box feed
from the PC by USB1.

So my question is would a handyboard be upto the
task of acting as a black box.

1) Could you get a Handyboard + supporting
electronics to work with a USB1 connection ?

2) Would it be fast enough to service interrupts
from the USB and generate the required pulses to
the CNC machine ( 1000's per sec ). Deal with
emergency stop, limit switches etc.

3) Would 32K be enough memory for the above task.
I would assume yes.

4) Can you supply Handboard with external power

This mail sent through UK Online webmail