 Robotics / Handy Board / 8590
Re: Garmin GPS25-LVS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:52:59 GMT

Greetings,

From the specs (http://www.garmin.com/products/gps25/), the unit you
have
(LVS) supports a RS232C level connection. Since the HandyBoard uses TTL
level signals, you would need an RS232C to TTL interface. This
interface
would be similar to the one used on the serial interface/charging board
of
the HandBoard (leaving out the charging circuitry).

The GPS25 (pdf, http://www.garmin.com/manuals/spec25.pdf) manual, page
16,
describes the ASCII data format used by the GPS (NMEA 0183) receiver,
as
well as the sensor initialization and configuration sequences. Use the
serialio routines  on the handyboard.com site
(http://www.handyboard.com/software/contrib/drushel/) to send/receive
data
between the HB and the GPS unit.

The serialio routines also, I believe, switch the HB serial port (the
RJ11
connector) from download mode to transceiver mode. Verify that. There
is
another serial port but I haven't been able to find software routines
for it
(I haven't looked very far though).

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Marco A. Assfalk de Oliveira
ma2oliveira@yahoo.com

PS. Please post this to the handyboard discussion (if you wish), since
I am
unable to do so, because I recently changed email addresses and haven't
been
able to update my handyboard discussion list profile.

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Andrey Shvartsman writes:
I am working on a robotic blimp project. I've acquired the Garmin GPS25-LVS
receiver and I want to use it with the HandyBoard to control the blimp. Does
anybody have a schematic that would show how to connect this GPS system to
the HandyBoard, and how to program it?

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Andrey Shvartsman