 Robotics / Handy Board / 8589
Re: Broken charger board...still broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:07:23 GMT

Be sure you get the proper Max232 chip.  I bought another, because I was
having serial port problems, and thought it might be the Max232 chip...  But
the new one I bought wasnt *quite* right.  What happened was in IC I could
download pcode if I tried it twice.  At first I thought I would just deal
with the problem, but all the other downloaders failed.

I don't know the differences, but this one is labeled "ST232ECN", and
doesn't quite work.  Fortunatly I still had the original that came with the
kit, which really wasn't bad, and my problem was resolved.

Sam

"stefano franchi" <s.franchi@auckland.ac.nz> wrote in message
Hi all,

just in case anyone feels like helping, I thought I'd post an update on • the
current (and very sick) state of the charger/interface board I accidently
turbocharged by plugging the 120V adapter into a 240V outlet.
As stated in a previous posting, I went through the recommended test in • the
assembly manual and found that (1) the board passes the first series of
tests (input voltage is correctly reduced to 5V); and (2) it miserably • fails
the successive  test of the serial circuit..

Following the assembly manual suggestions, I dutifully replaced all the
capacitors from C10 to C13. I also replaced (following a suggestion by a
member of the list) C15.
Nothing changed. I get almost exactly the same voltage reading with the • new
capacitors in place: a  measurement of the voltages between the pins of • U16,
as recommended by the assembly manual, indicates about 3 volts between • pins
2 and 7 (instead of 9/10V), and -0.4 between 6 and 7 (instead 0f -9/10). I
am thinking that perhaps I blew up the IC and I'm going to replace that
tomorrow, after which I'll be out of ideas.

Any suggestion, further test, sudden illumination, insightful comment, • etc.
greatly, greatly appreciated.

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy        Ph:  (64) 9 373-7599 x3940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-7408
Private Bag 92019 s.franchi@auckland.ac.nz
Auckland
New Zealand