 Robotics / Handy Board / 8588
8587  |  8589
Subject:
Broken charger board...still broken
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:46:27 GMT

Hi all,

just in case anyone feels like helping, I thought I'd post an update on the
current (and very sick) state of the charger/interface board I accidently
turbocharged by plugging the 120V adapter into a 240V outlet.
As stated in a previous posting, I went through the recommended test in the
assembly manual and found that (1) the board passes the first series of
tests (input voltage is correctly reduced to 5V); and (2) it miserably fails
the successive  test of the serial circuit..

Following the assembly manual suggestions, I dutifully replaced all the
capacitors from C10 to C13. I also replaced (following a suggestion by a
member of the list) C15.
Nothing changed. I get almost exactly the same voltage reading with the new
capacitors in place: a  measurement of the voltages between the pins of U16,
as recommended by the assembly manual, indicates about 3 volts between pins
2 and 7 (instead of 9/10V), and -0.4 between 6 and 7 (instead 0f -9/10). I
am thinking that perhaps I blew up the IC and I'm going to replace that
tomorrow, after which I'll be out of ideas.

Any suggestion, further test, sudden illumination, insightful comment, etc.
greatly, greatly appreciated.

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy        Ph:  (64) 9 373-7599 x3940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-7408
Private Bag 92019 s.franchi@auckland.ac.nz
Auckland
New Zealand