 Robotics / Handy Board / 8450
8449  |  8451
Subject:
Serial LED is not lighting up during charger board assembly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:26:05 GMT

   I'm in the middle of assembling the Serial Interface and Batt. Charger
board but have run into a snag.  While testing the serial circuit, I was
able to see the +-9V values on pin 2 of U16.  However, when testing the
transmit and receive functions of the MAX232 chip, I can't get the green LED
to light up. There are no troubleshooting/debugging tips for this section.
I'm pretty sure
that I installed the LED correctly.  The short lead is the cathode
(negative) and goes into the square hole for SER LED. If this LED was
installed backwards, would that account for getting the right voltages but
no light?

   One caveat on my part, I misunderstood the directions and have already
installed the 25pin Serial connector (J9) so I've been making my
measurements with a bare lead inserted into the proper hole (pin 7, etc.)  I
don't see how that would impact this problem but its best not to leave any
details out.  Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the serial LED not
lighting up?  Thanks.

   Scott