 Robotics / Handy Board / 8428
Re: Power and Reset
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:37:47 GMT

Hi All,

Thanks for the good advice I got. I applied a separate power sypply to the
board, to drive the motors and everything seems to go well now.

I am not sure if I need to change the L293D for a more powerfull
alternative. The chip driving both motors gets quite hot -- could that be a
problem? I could supply it with a chip cool rib, but maybe I should
considder going to the SN754410 after all?

Sincerely,
Willem

"Willem van Asperen" <wasperen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi All,

I Just created a (my first) mobile bot with two motors using differential
drive. At random moments, during motor activity, one of the motors (or • both)
seems to go wild and soon after that the BATT led blinks and then the • board
is reset.

I guess to have trouble with the power both motors draw. Stepwize changing
the motor power (eg. from 0 to 50 in 100 steps) seems to help, but still • at
unpredictable moments the systems goes wild. Does the power draw seem to • be
a reasonable explanation?

I use eight NiCad AA penlites that are rated for 950 mAh. Should I try and
recharge them? Apart from using a separate power supply for the motors,
anyone can think of another solution?

Thanks,

Willem van Asperen