 Robotics / Handy Board / 8353
Re: Emergency - Half Dead Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:02:21 GMT

Welp, I've fixed the problem.
Apparently the inductor at L1 has burnt out.
I have no idea how could this have happened beside wear
and tear (although the board was pretty new).
As others have suggested, replacing the motor chips (starting with
U8 and U9) might also fix similar problems.

  Morris

"Morris Davis" <mrchoko@cyberdude.com> wrote in message
Hi All,
I powered on my handyboard the other day, and the next thing
that happened was a click noise and some black smoke from the top
left part of the HB (the F1, U13 area).
I tried to repower it (after turning it off) and nothing happened. I
connected
it with the RJ11 cable and tried to power it using the adaptor as the • power
source and now it worked (and even the memory wasn't erased) but with
one problem, the motors are not working right - some of the LEDs are half
lit, some of the motors are running wild, etc. I've noticed that I'm able • to
control
the motors (change from forward to backward), but I can't turn them off.
I checked the power supplied by the batteries by checking the U4 area • (GND,
+5
pins) and I've noticed that when being supplied from the RJ11, the voltage
is correct -
5, but when supplied by the batteries it's about 0.5.
Also when both the battery and the RJ11 cord are connected, the BATT LED • is
lit.
As I mentioned before, the first couple of times I tried to power on the
board, there was no response (LEDs, beep, LCD, etc), but after connecting • it
to the
interface, from time to time, I'm getting partial results (blinking LEDS).
Someone I asked suggested to replace the voltage regulator at U13 but it
didn't help.
Some more notes:
1. U13 (the one that I've replaced and the old one) is getting very hot.
2. The board works when supplied with the onboard jack the same way as • when
connected
    to the interface.
3. I can download pcode, programs, everything...

I would appreciate any kind of input. I belive most of the board is still • OK
(the microprocessor
for sure, the motor controllers 50%). Thanks in advance
  Morris