 Robotics / Handy Board / 8302
Re: Is there a benefit in delegating processing tasks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:31:09 GMT

The advantage of distributed processing is that you can take a
sometimes considerable load off the main MCU. Consider a speed
regulator: a sensor is needed to continuously monitor the speed at
which the wheels are turning and adjustments in motor output are
necessary to compensate for changes in load/slip/terrain etc. It would
be so much easier to just have the RCX tell a sub-processor what speed
is desired and have the slave unit count rotations per unit time and
adjust the speed accordingly. Of course, with only three inputs and
three outputs and a IR port, there isn't a lot for the RCX to do
anyway, so in this case it probably won't help a lot. For more complex
systems, this is almost essential.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ