 Robotics / Handy Board / 8118
Re: More on Miniboard woes and woohoos.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:26:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, James Munro writes:
In general on embedded systems you _don't_ want to use printf, way more
features than you need. Try using "puts()" to print strings and
printdec(int x) to print a decimal number. Between the two of them you can
write some really tight code.

I didn't think printf() was even available on the shareware (old) version
of icc?

  I'm hitting two posts at once here...

James,
  It came as a printf.c file with the freeware ICC11 compiler on the
Miniboard site.  I was curious as it was to be used with the dhry.c code
Richard Mann included.  However, that dhry.c code when I tried to compile
it gave "phasing" errors, about which I have no clue as none of the code
that I have written gave those errors...

Chuck,

  I later went through the miniboard library and found the routines there
for serial output, they are all I'd need from an embedded app anyway, you
are correct.  Are you saying that the current commercial ICC11 has the
Miniboard libraries and a dlm that works with the oddball serial comm port?
Another item that I've wondered about with the freeware ICC11 is just where
it puts the stack and variable space (only 256 bytes anyway) and how tight
a code it generates - it seems as if 1/3 of any Miniboard download is always
the same code (crt.s?).  Regardless, I've found my current setup "way cool",
I'd love the commercial ICC11 but would find it hard to justify a $200
compiler for a board that cost me $40 to build.  If ICC11 also worked with
my Marvin Green Botboard 2 (which only cost me $30 to build) I might consider
it, but the BB2 has such a different memory map that I don't think the libs
would be of any value to me.  Am I incorrect there?

thanks all,
DLC