 Robotics / Handy Board / 8064
Re: Rover based on Hanyboard is evolving well!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:38:56 GMT

Sure.. hey I thought I replied to the list.

Here's the picture so far.. note: lugenet doesn't allow jpeg attachments
so
You will get the image, lugenet will reject them.
I am hoping to put up a webpage soon.  I've got a few sensors I am
designing
from scratch, a quad infrared for the sensor array, if it works the
sensor array should
be able to track the movement of a living object.. like a hand.  I may
have it
track light as well.  It's great to have so many ADC ports at my
disposal!
Also I am working on a Freequency to Voltage converter so the handyboard

can "hear" music.  It will be funny to see the head bopping up and down
to a beat
to some tunes.  I think it can be pulled off with some preprocessing.
I'm reading up
now on converting frequency to voltage.  The voltage will vary with
frequency input.
It also looks like I can use:

Y3  5000 - 5FFF Read
Y4 6000-6FFF Write
Y5 6000-6FFF  Read
And  DIG8 is available

I Wish I had 2 write enebles available.. but I don't
I Think it's possible to add some glue logic with the
DIG8 Signal and Y4 to squeeze another Write enable port.
I'll just have to write some low level code.

That would give me access to  two devices:
I was going to wire wrap a Digitalker Synthesizer
and with some additional glue logic I can add memory!
Am I dreaming?  I looked at the HB Expansion schematic
and the HB schematic.. these signal lines look available.
Can anyone verify this?

Brat Wizard wrote:

Reply to the list also please, as there are probably others who would
(or will in the future) benefit from the discussion. Glad to hear my
answer might solve your prob. I would still like to see photos of your
project if you're willing to share them.

John Whitten
brat@naxs.com

Jerry Normandin wrote:

Thanks for the input.  I need long range because I calculate best
paths in a
room.
If you are in a Large room you need to look around and plot a
course.  That's
why
I need distance.  i am cheating right now.  If I am out of range I
give it a
bogus large
number and I favor the right just in case both are out of range.

I am going to try the dual timer approach.. I'll do a temporary long
distance
ping
since cutting the timer in half would slow the handyboard down by
half..
after I get a good read load the original value.  GREAT ANSWER! That
should
work!
Brat Wizard wrote:

Jerry Normandin wrote:

I'd much rather see the full 35ft with sonar. PLEASE Someone, • any
ideas?  Did someone
modify the counter to run at half the frequency??? was there • terrible
loss of resolution?

Hello Jerry-

Why not build a dual-range system so that when you need the extra • accuracy
you run the timer at full tilt and when you just want the extended • range
you cut the timer in half? I suspect that knowing that you're 6.5 • inches
away from something is a lot more important than knowing that • you're 414
inches (34.55 feet) away...... yes? Another thing you could do, if • the
extended range -and- accuracy are important is to delay starting • the
counter (or taking your initial reading, or whatever) until "15 • feet" worth
of time has past- and then turn on the counter. You should get the • same
accuracy your 15 foot system gives you over the _second_ fifteen • foot
range. You just can't do both at the same time, which isn't really • an issue
anyway....

if anyone is interested in pictures of the robot let me know.

I would like to see your pictures. Just send them to the email • address
above. If you would like to see some of my efforts, look at
http://www.wizard.org. I don't have any photos of my latest • project
(Gadget-II) up yet but you may enjoy my last project (Gadget).

Good luck on your project!

John Whitten
brat@naxs.com

| "I'll give up my modem when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!" |
| John Whitten - brat@naxs.com  http://www.wizard.org                  |