 Robotics / Handy Board / 7749
Re: Battery Charging Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:42:56 GMT

Thanks for the tip.  I think you are right.  I got a NiMH catalogue from
Panasonic and it makes some of the same recommendation such as charge rate,
etc.  It is much like NiCD if you charge the battery "watching the clock".

I am planning on building a charger myself using the charger chip from
MAXIM.  The MAX712/MAX713 looks very easy to use.... :-p  It does all the
voltage drop detection and stuff...  If I get it to work, I'll let you know.
(or if you guys really don't care about such things????)

--

                                                            Ray

Dennis Clark <dlc@verinet.com> wrote in message

  It is basically charged the same way and has all of the faults of he • NiCd
(voltage depression, etc.) but while it has a higher average capacity, it • does
not have as much current delivery (higher internal resistance.)  The cells • peak
charge in a similar manner, but the delta drop-off when charged is less
obvious.  I don't know much about these cells beyond that.  I suppose I • will
need to read up on them soon...

I recommend, again, a good peak charger for best battery health.  Two • chargers
I know will deal with them, the Novak Millenium and (I think) the Tekin • BC112.
Neither of these are cheap though (>$100).  Others may have lower cost • ones,
but I don't know them.

have fun,
DLC