 Robotics / Handy Board / 7688
Re: Battery Charging Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:08:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Ray Tang writes:
Hi,
   Yes, I read that too.  But the pack was NiCd, mine is NiMH.  According
to some people, the charging methods between the two are different.  I don't
think I can charge NiMH pack like a NiCd pack (or can I??).

  It is basically charged the same way and has all of the faults of he NiCd
(voltage depression, etc.) but while it has a higher average capacity, it does
not have as much current delivery (higher internal resistance.)  The cells peak
charge in a similar manner, but the delta drop-off when charged is less
obvious.  I don't know much about these cells beyond that.  I suppose I will
need to read up on them soon...

I recommend, again, a good peak charger for best battery health.  Two chargers
I know will deal with them, the Novak Millenium and (I think) the Tekin BC112.
Neither of these are cheap though (>$100).  Others may have lower cost ones,
but I don't know them.

have fun,
DLC