 Robotics / Handy Board / 7746
Re: About HAndy board and PIC
Newsgroups:
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:26:20 GMT

    PIC, 6811, 486 are all different architecture processors.  I think,
technically, PIC, 6811are called microcontroller or MCU (right??).  PIC and
6811are not as powerful and as fast 486, etc.  But for our purpose, they
will do many things.  As for books, here are a few...  I like them because
they structure like the Computer Science textbooks I have used in the past
(or else, all programming books are structured the same)...

Title:  Software and Hardware Engineering: Motorola M68HC11
Author:  Fredrick M. Cady

Title: The M68HC11 Microcontroller: applications in control, instrumentation
and communication
Author:  Michael Kheir

Title:  Design with PIC microcontrollers
Author:  John B. Peatman.

Mobile Robots : Inspiration to Implementation is a good book.  Most of the
stuff you learn can apply to Handyboard (go figure!) and other robots.  You
can use the book as a roadmap to build other robots.  I bought the
Handyboard after reading this book.  I haven't read the others though...

    To answer your question on Programming Microcontroller Boards...  I
don't really know.  (Anyone with good answers???)  Some books are structure
around a particular MCU and programmer.  The idea or programming scheme are
pretty much the same for all.  For example, they all use assembly language.
If you learn one, you can learn others since they are very similar.
    As for learning how to program HandyBoard....  the documentation from
the MIT web site are, I think, enough.  If you know C, then you just need to
learn how to "use" IC, and etc.  Prof. Fred Martin posts LOTS of stuff, and
so far, I haven't ran out of "resources" on his page yet.
    Just remember that you can program PIC or 6811 or handyboard using IC
and build a robot out of them.  Use them wisely and you can build LOTS of
stuff.  As for robot football, I can't say much on that.  If I were to go
into this right now, I will go with PC/104 (www.pc104.org) and run Linux on
it, and use the I/O port for controlling motors and sensors... I think
PC/104 is a little more powerful and flexible (in terms of programming since
you run Linux, and therefore you can program in LISP or C++ anyway you
want).  Sorry, I know I am not helping much here.  As for Handyboard, all
you need is the board, and a PC.  You need to "build your sensors and
motors" and then the "robot" and you are ready to go.  For me, I need less
then $300 to get start.  You can do a lot of "learning" with it already!  I
take this route because there are many people as resources on the web.

    I hope this helps...  Good Luck!

--

                                                            Ray

Du Toit, Francois (SEB IS FDP Developers) <handyboard@media.mit.edu> wrote
in message
I have read od a newsgroup of robotics that you
have build a robot with the Handy Board with a PIC.

What advcie can you give me . I have to start from scrath .
What I need to buy Handy Board + (what componets+tools??) to
build a soccer player ect..?? I do not have any electrical hobby
material or books or hardware or tools.  I'm a programmer so
I do now about programming.

What is difference between PIC and 6811. Is 6811 just a
number of a processor like intel 486+pentium ect.. differ
by name and architecture?? OR is PIC and 6811 different kind
of components??

I'm from South Africa and for me to buy these
kits or boards I have to buy through internet. It will also cost me 7 times
the price you will pay.    As I'm new to this and
I don't have lots of money to spend and then just to realize the package
is to limited to expand or used in futre advanced techniques.

I'm intersted in learning from scratch as well as have  a board that
can exapnd when I'm a more advanced user/programmer of the PIC.

Which of the boards are best to start with and are most expandable??
Can I build a Soccer player with Handy Board ?? or
must I buy lots of additional componets to do the same thing with Handy
How much one will spend on componets to build a SportKit?? ect..

How does the processor from the different above boards compare ?? Which have
the most
power and programmability??

I have some other questions as well. I have seen books publisehed how to
program
the PIC ?? Does that mean it's related to any microcontroller boards in
general or
only ones from MICROCHIP and related ones?? If I learn to program a handy
board-
6270 can one use below books on these boards too??

The books seems very good all titles I have read on site HVW electrical
http://www.hvwtech.com/books.htm#micros

Title: PIC'n Up The Pace  (PIC 16/17 Microcontroller Application Guide)