 Robotics / Handy Board / 774
Re: Adapting the LMD18200
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 03:26:57 GMT

Tom

I got a couple LMD18200's from National and I'm getting ready to connect
them to my HB.  Looking back in my list of messages I got this:

What I did was simply remove the L293 chip and replace it with a 16pin
header and some rainbow ribbon cable.

I looked at the schematic and found the L293's really only use 2 pins
for input.  For motor 3, it is pins 1 and 2, and for motor 2 it is
pins 9 and 10.

This part is OK, but I'm not sure about the rest.

        ------
       /|    |-----
      / |    |---------- Motor
     /  | LM |-----
    /   |182 |-----
   /    | 00 |--------GND (motor and signal)
   | *  |    |--------motor power (12-55V)
   \    |    |--------hb pin 2
    \   |    |----- gnd (brake)
     \  |    |--------hb pin 1
      \ |    |---------- Motor
       \|pin1|-----
        ------

Pins 2 and 10 connect directly to the motor.  Pin 3 is pwm, which is
compatible with handy board pwm output.  Pin 4 is a brake, and could
be connected to the handy board using one of the digital inputs, but
I decided to not use it.  pin 5 is direction which is compatible with
the direction output on the handy board.  Pin 6 is motor power, you
should make all your needs available here.  Pin 7 is ground, signal
and motor power.  Pin 8 is a current sense that might be useful into
an A/D port (properly scaled of course), and Pin 9 is a thermal flag
that could set off an interrupt or other digital input.

--
tgb@bnr.com

The PWM inputs for each L293 are pins 1 & 9, right? And the direction
inputs are 2, 7, 10, & 15?  With each pair of direction inputs using an
inverter.

The data sheet from National gives pin 3 as direction and pin 5 as PWM.
Did you connect it like in the picture or is the picture wrong.

I thought I would ask before a I etch my board for the 18200's.

Thanks,

matt

Matthew J. Harlan
Cornell University