 Robotics / Handy Board / 7730
Re: Textbook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:42:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[Joe Kopena] spake unto the ether:

Can anyone on here reccomend a good textbook for a robotics class? The class is
intended for upperclass and graduate computer science students who have already
taken classes in artifical intelligence. We're going to be using LEGO kits and
HandyBoards in the class for hands on experience, but the text need not utilize
them directly. Most of the books we've found are geared towards engineering
rather than computer science students. We're looking for a book which teaches
common algorithms and concepts in robotics, around which we will develop
assignments using the book and kits.

Wait for Fred Martin's book (it's due out in the fall, isn't it?)

My self-taught practical engineer's take on robotics is that you
can't separate the brain from the body, so to speak.  Computer scientists
tend to write beautiful, "provably correct" code which doesn't work in
real life.  Mechanical engineers tend to design robots which are beautiful
static displays, but behave badly in real life.  Brain and body must evolve
together, each providing feedback to the other.  That's how real animals
work, and speaking as a biologist, I believe that a robot is a model system
for the study of animal behavior.

Both computer scientists and engineers love simulators, too, and
tend to optimize their stuff for quirks of the simulation, which of course
is not as accurate as the real world...

I'll shamelessly plug our LEGO robot course webpage at

http://www.eecs.cwru.edu/courses/lego375/

as an example of a robot course with no prerequisites which achieves a good
balance between computer science and straight engineering.

Your mileage, of course, may vary :-)  Let the flames begin :-)

*Rich*
--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other