 Robotics / Handy Board / 7605
Re: Overcharge Battery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:03:14 GMT

Im going to jump in here on this one and give an opinion.

C/10 for a NiCd is a little much for a trickle charge.  C/10 on NiCd's is
usually considered more of a trimming type of charge following a higher charge
rate of C or C/2 to put the bulk of the energy back in.  The C/10 can top the
battery off and help even out the individual cell charge but for long periods it
can be stressful.  C/50 or even C/100 is a better rate for a trickle charge.

But.....  And I'm saying this without having a chance to look at the charging
circuit again..... I think the circuit actually creates a C/10 max rate with a
voltage clamp of whatever the powersupply voltage is.  As the battery voltage
increases during the charge the voltage drop across the limiting resistor
decreases reducing the current into the battery.  This is actually the ideal
condition to charge the batteries as long as the powersupply voltage is correct.

Anyway having said all that.  i have two HB's that I leave on the charger all
the time.  They've been there for over two years.  When I take them off the
charger and use them they seem to last as long as they did when they were new.
I'm betting if I kept them in the generally discharged state I would have been
buying new batteries by now.

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html;