 Robotics / Handy Board / 7576
Re: Hexapod servo supply
Newsgroups:
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:47:09 GMT

Hope this helps
Adam

----- Original Message -----
From: Frankie Lai <97139371d@polyu.edu.hk>
To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 4:33 AM
Subject: Hexapod servo supply

Hi all,

I am now building a hexapod robot. There is something wrong on the servos
preformances. Actually, my robot weights 1.6kg, and by calculations my • servos
can support up to 2.5kg with normal operations. But when I connected the • 6v dc
supply for the servos directly, they did not work as I expected. They did • not
provide as much torque as I needed. And I found that the problem was due • to
the load. When I test them separately, they all works at its normal • operation
level, but when on load, the torque become very small.
What I want to ask is:
1. I used a transformer for the dc supply with maximum 1200mA current • draw,
for total 12 servos. Is there not enough current for the servos?
2. Shall I add some voltage and current regulators to the servos rather • than
connecting them directly to the supply?
3. If yes, I actuatly do not know how the circuit is, can anyone give me a
piece of advise or give me the schematic?
4. Since I would like to use Nicd battery for future development, can I • also
use the same regualtor circuits?

Details:
Hitec HS-422 servos x 12
with 6v dc supply.