 Robotics / Handy Board / 7084
Re: HandyBoard Charging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:10:28 GMT

no, to do the battery run-down test, you must not have it plugged in!

otherwise you'd just be powering it from the adapter, and you'd never
run out of juice.

so, the steps are:

1. bootload your HB with pcode_hb.s19.  you should see the Interactive
C message and a beating heart on the lcd.

2. unplug your HB from everything.  time how long it takes for the
board's battery to run out of power.

you should get 8 to 10 hours if the battery was fully charged when you
started.

fred

In your message you said:
Okay, I'll try it.  Do I need to have the DC adapter plugged in to the
Handyboard?
In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
ok, you have the stock adapter.

like i said, sometimes the batt does get fully charged and then not
enough current flows in trickle-charge to light the LED.

but that's normal, so it doesn't sound like there is actually a
problem.

a simple way to test the batt is do a run-down test.  just leave the
board on and see how long the batt lasts.  you should get approx 10
hours with the board sitting there doing nothing (just the Interactive
C heart beating).

fred

In your message you said:
Well I bought an assembled board from Gleason Research and I've been using • th
DC adapter that came with the board. The charging leds light up only when • the
Handyboard on?  Is there something special I need to do to run the board o • n
batteries?  Is there a way I can test the batteries?

lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
do you have the recommended 12v, 500 ma DC adapter?

if not, that explains it.

if so, sometimes when the batt is fully charged, you don't get much in
trickle charge mode and the light is off.  but usually you should see
the light being lit dimly.

are you having problems with your battery holding a charge?

fred

In your message you said:
In the Handyboard manual it says when charging in trickle mode you shou • ld
tur
the Handyboard off, however when I do try and turn the Handyboard off t • he
charge light on the serial/charger board goes off?  Is the board still • bei
ng
charged or is there a problem?

The same problem occurs when I charge the Handyboard directly.  If the • pow
er
switch is turned on the charge light(LED) is on however when it's turn • off
th
charge light goes off? What's the problem?

When the batteries are charged should the board be able to run withough • t
external power supply?

Any information would be great!!!